Craft & Consumption

Monday, February 11, 2013

Media Monday: Newsroom {newest TV obsession}


I just finished the entire first season of Newsroom and I'm totally in, hook, line, and sinker. If you haven't started watching it, you should. 

As The Office has descended into the "unwatchable" category, and 30 Rock has finished its last season, I'm finding myself needing a TV fix to replace some of my old favorites.

Newsroom is not only exciting to watch (drama, drama, and lots of sexual tension), but the content is good. The message they're sending is one that we should be hearing. 

News shouldn't be about dogs and cats and celebrities. There is real shit going on in the world, all around us, and the public news channels out there should be informing the American citizen.

I watched the first season in about 2 weeks, episode after episode, totally entrenched. What's funny is, my little Newsroom spree changed the way I listen to actual news. The show actually puts into context some of the crises that have happened in the last few years: the BP oil spill, the repeal of Glass Steagall, etc. 

Take a look and try the first episode of season 1. You might end up a more informed citizen for it. How's that for good TV?




No comments:

Post a Comment