Craft & Consumption

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Etsy Pick of the Week: INTERVIEW DEBUT!

Let me start off by saying that there is a wee bit of philosophy behind my "Etsy pick of the week" posts. I believe that when we make things we are proud of, we are rewarded with a persisting sense of self value and self worth. I believe that when we own the whole process of making something, our creations filter out into the universe and become part of us, out there representing our life in a tangible, semi-permanent way. I've experienced this with some of my silk screening projects. Gifts that I've made for friends become a way for me to be with them, even when they're thousands of miles away, across the Pacific ocean on entirely different continents. 

So... with that said, I'm excited to debut my very first Etsy Pick Interview. I hope it gives us all a little more insight into the artists behind the Etsy Pick of the Week series here on Craft & Consumption.


I just purchased the very cutest and coolest and best address stamp from the Etsy shop Chatty Press. It is delightful. It actually makes paying the bills kind of exciting. I know... that's ridiculous, but true.


Jen Pepper, who designs and crafts everything over at the Chatty Press, was kind enough to answer some interview questions here on Craft and Consumption. 




Etsy Shop: Chatty Press
Name: Jen Pepper
On Etsy since: Feb, 2011

How did you first start making your pieces?
I've worked as a graphic designer for the past 10 years, and I love designing for print. There is something about paper that just makes me so happy, which is why I love mail so much, but I do get tired of writing my super long address on everything I send out, so I designed a return address stamp for myself. I got so many compliments on the design that I decided to design more and start a little shop. I try and create a new design every couple weeks to add to the collection and hope to add even more stationery products in the future. 

How did you hear about Etsy and come to create an online shop?
I actually have another shop on etsy (Peppersprouts) that has been up and running since 2009. When I lived in Brooklyn I went to the very first Renegade craft fair there and so many vendors had a shop on etsy, so I checked it out and decided to start making awesome things so I could be apart of this cool crafty community. 

Favorite piece of nostalgia from your childhood: Oh goodness, I have a Strawberry Shortcake mug that brings back so any memories of milk and donuts.

What's your favorite online destination (besides Etsy)? Right now it has to be Ravelry. I learned how to knit last year and I love looking at new patterns and yarns and making gifts for the holidays.

Coffee or tea? Trick question! Iced Coffee. 

How does the place you live inform your work? I now live on the coast of Maine and everything here is much slower than Brooklyn. That really makes me appreciate handwritten mail and cards and how special it is to get something besides catalogs and bills in the mailbox. Even though it's just a simple stamp on an envelope, I think it makes a daily trip to the mail box or the post office a little more special. 


Check out more of Jen's amazing stamps here at The Chatty Press (this nautical one is adorable for all of you Maine-ers out there) and her laser cut creations here at Pepper Sprouts (these cheese labels are hilarious and oh-so-cute). Big thanks to Jen for answering my questions so thoughtfully!! And for providing us with such kick-ass stuff on her lovely Etsy shop :)


No comments:

Post a Comment