Craft & Consumption

Friday, July 24, 2009

Lisa Mayock: Vena Cava

Vena Cava designer Lisa Mayock was recently photographed in her Brooklyn apartment for an article over at Refinery29. Check it out. Below are a few of the highlights from the post.

The shadow box in her "closet" (which is apparently a humongous room filled with clothes) reminds me of artist Joseph Cornell.

(R29) What wouldn't you be caught dead wearing?
(LM) "That's a difficult question. I often have complete changes of heart about certain looks. And I l
ove things that are good taste/bad taste and other things that are just plain tacky. So, honestly, the only thing I can think of right now that I would never wear is a 'sexy' Halloween costume. Which you may see me in come October."

Name something in your wardrobe you'll never throw away?
"Old T-shirts, sweatshirts, and leather pieces...they just keep getting better with time."

Vena Cava designers Lisa Mayock and Sophie Buhai (in black) with models wearing their Vena Cava for GAP pieces, which I got excited about here back in May.

Not that we're surprised, but your apartment is off-the-charts cool. And we hear you just gave it a little makeover...what look were you going for?

"If I had to give it a name, it would be called 'Things I Like.' That was pretty much the only criteria."


I really like her break all the rules attitude. She has a "Just Bone Me" poster above her bed. And Mayock wears a bright freaking yellow beaded dress that apparently sheds beads as she walks. But it is gorgeous. And I am intrigued. Plus the chair in her living room (below) can also be found in my father's office. His came without the spikes and does not sit atop a sheepskin rug. Nevertheless...


Get an inside look at the designer's inspiration over at the Viva Vena Cava blog, which Sophie and Lisa started back in February. Thank you Refinery 29 for giving us an inside look at this modern gem.


P.S. Did I mention I want Mayock's hair cut? I juuuust grew out my bangs and am lusting after them again!


No comments:

Post a Comment