Craft & Consumption

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Stephen Sprouse




I went to see the Stephen Sprouse retrospective exhibit at the Deitch gallery on Wooster St a few weeks ago. My father and I walked around the exhibit together, looked at the apparel on display that Sprouse had designed, checked out the polaroid wall full of Debbie Harry images, and generally soaked in the homage to 80's neon. I can't help but think of my parent's lives at that time, living in NY during the height of this 80's pop art flux. 

The Sprouse exhibit conjured up memories of an old red Sprouse bathing suit my mom used to wear. After some digging around in our basement I found an image of her wearing it (below). I need to do some investigating in her closet and find that sexy relic!

 



The Deitch exhibit coincided with a 2009 reincarnation of the original Sprouse/Louis Vuitton/Marc Jacobs collaboration that debuted back in 2000 (read more about it here). 



Sprouse and Marc Jacobs together in 2000. 


MJ rocking the new LV handbag line which debuted in January 09. 



The floral designs on this Louis Vuitton/MJ/Sprouse bag from the 2009 collection have a definite Warhol-esque quality to them.




No comments:

Post a Comment