I love cooking, it's the perfect blend of crafting and consuming.
CRAFT: A couple nights back I worked on a blood orange fennel relish. In progress (below) are the chopped fennel fronds, my amazing citrus zester (a gift from my sister, similar here), and lemon juice. I often craft dinner with some vino in-hand.
CONSUME: The finished product was blood-orange fennel relish on rainbow trout, with avocado-feta toast, and mixed greens.
Blood orange Fennel Relish on Rainbow Trout
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated blood orange rind
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) fennel bulb
- 1 cup fresh blood orange sections
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 (6-ounce) rainbow trout fillets
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Remove fronds from fennel bulb; chop fronds to measure 2 tablespoons. Remove and discard stalks. Cut fennel bulb in half lengthwise; discard core. Thinly slice fennel bulb. Add sliced fennel, orange sections, and onion to orange juice mixture; toss gently to coat. Stir in fennel fronds.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle fish evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add butter to pan; swirl until butter melts. Add fish to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with relish.