Craft & Consumption

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

CRAFT- 2013 Vegetable Garden - early Spring Planting (zone 6)


The weekend of March 30 I prepped one of my four raised beds and got some early spring seeds in the ground. I'm in eastern Pennsylvania, so early spring planting for us is mid-March to late April. Only cold-weather tolerant seedlings can handle being planted before the frost-free date (May 15th). I planted:

Early Spring Vegetables (zone 6):

  • lettuce
  • spinach
  • radishes
  • kale
  • beets (so many beets, because I love them. nom nom.)
  • onions (bulbs)
  • garlic (bulbs)

I also dusted off the gladioli bulbs that were over-wintered in my basement and planted them. I noticed when I took them out that they were already starting to create shoots!


Three weeks later, the seedlings are looking strong and happy. I've even had to thin them out once or twice. Above are the little lettuce seedlings as of April 20th. My mom says you can eat these teeny tiny seedlings and they will be yummy in salads. 

I also planted brussel sprouts, peas, sweet peas and ranunculus two weeks later (April 13). I got a second row of lettuce in the ground too, so that as the first row matures I will have more lettuce that's on a slightly different growing schedule. More photos to come as the rest of the veggies emerge from the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment