Craft & Consumption

Thursday, March 5, 2009

McGinness at Deitch



Ryan McGinness debuts a new exhibit at Deitch Projects in NY this Saturday March 7. All of McGinness' work is silk screened by hand; each design comes from a pencil sketch, which is later digitally rendered. The use of individual screens is something of personal interest for me, it reminds me of my days in the art studio at my hometown high school, and long hours in my parent's basement making t-shirts. 



The use of the screens on these molded plastic sculptures is so interesting. I love that the layered effect on the 2D plane is transfered to the 3D forms. The layers of paint and design on the flat surfaces are seen through the various layers of plastic. I hope there are some sculptures on exhibit at Deitch this weekend! Hopefully will post pictures after the opening.


No comments:

Post a Comment